Please follow this list as you prepare your son for his summer at camp. Experience has taught us that having enough (but not too many) of certain essential items can make a significant difference between a comfortable summer and one spent scrounging and wanting.
Your son's name should be on EVERY item that he brings with him. Whether you hope to have it return home with him or not, the important thing is that he still has it after the first few days of camp. Better to have at least his full last name written out, since you never know how many campers will have the same initials... Regular sharpies and permanent makers tend to bleed and fade, so use a laundry marking pen, or labels, or a clothing stamp. You can find great tools for putting his name on his things here: www.everythingsummercamp.com/name-labels.
- 2 sets of twin-sized sheets & 2 pillowcases
- 2 blankets and a pillow
- 4 large towels
- 2 laundry bags
- 1 pair of sandals (Chacos, Tevas...) or water shoes
- 2 pairs of sneakers, or 1 pair and a pair of light hiking boots
(smooth-soled tennis shoes are required on our clay courts)
- 10 pairs of socks, 10 pairs of underwear
(for 7-9 year olds, we recommend MORE, LOTS MORE...)
- 2-3 pairs of loose-fitting pants, 6 pairs of shorts
- 3 pairs of swim trunks
- 10 T-shirts and 2 long-sleeve tees
- 2 sweatshirts or flannel shirts... something warm
- 1 wool, or fleece sweater (non-cotton)
- 1 rain jacket with hood (preferably no ponchos)
- wool or fleece hat
- sun hat or ballcap
- water bottle
- toilet articles and carrying case
- headlamp or flashlight and extra batteries
- stationary and stamps, pens
- pajamas, bathrobe & slippers, stuffed animal
- musical instrument, playing cards, books, small board games
- mask & snorkel, baseball glove, fishing tackle, tennis racquet, badminton racquet, Frisbee
- 1 pair hiking boots, 2-3 pairs heavy socks, sleeping bag
- folding camp chair (Crazy Creek)
What to Leave Behind
Camp is FULL of tools and toys for campers to use – kayaks, sailboats, ropes courses, etc. Some items that we're used to playing with as part of our everyday lives are things that, we feel, detract from the Kabeyun experience. Please help us to keep his attention on camp by leaving the following at home:
- all electronics: iphone, ipod, blackberry, cell phone of any sort, radio, cd player, gameboy, psp...
- digital cameras (including GoPros, Flips, etc.)
- knives of any shape or size - too many cut fingers; it's not worth it!
- skateboard, skates, & bike
- trading and collector's cards, including Magic Cards
- money, candy, food, cds...
- money (really! seriously! for real!)
- If you pack bug repellant or deodorant, no aerosol sprays, please!
- For out-of-camp trips... we have packs, tents, stoves, and utensils. He should bring his own sleeping bag, and it can double as a comforter when he's in camp.
- Don't forget to pack bedding!
2 sets of twin sheets & pillowcases, blankets, pillows.
- PLEASE LABEL ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING WITH HIS FULL NAME!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!
Download a copy of the packing list